Old 11-05-2011, 12:04 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500 Hemi QC 2X4
Trim Level: SLT- Luxury&Security
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:28
Willbrewer is on a distinguished road

A while back I drove up to Wilson Reservoir in Kansas from Hutchinson, which was a north-westerly route of about 100 miles. The wind was ferocious from the south, constant at 20-30 mph, with gusts up to 50mpg.

I filled up my truck before I started and reset the EVIC. When I reached Wilson Lake after the 100 mile drive my EVIC showed a 27.5 mpg average. I should have take a pic, and didn't even think about doing it. You can believe it or not, but it's the truth.

But on the way back, fighting the wind, my at-the-moment indicator (the little bar that tells you what you're getting in real time) hovered around 8-12 mpg. The total trip averaged around 17mpg.

Wind, terrain, driving style, and even things like humidity and elevation (I think) affect MPGs. Heck, I wonder sometimes if phase of the moon and sunspots affect our mileage to.

This truck is nothing like the Cummins I had before. With the emissions system, mpg's would drop whenever it went into a regen cycle, and that was frustrating. That was something totally out of my control.

Bill