Old 11-14-2011, 11:50 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram Express
Trim Level: Express
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:12
TNC is on a distinguished road

This a great and innovative home mod for sure. No kidding on the apparent restriction in the fender well where the OEM box gets its cold air intake. I'm going to do something similar. While researching this, I noticed that Spectre Air Intakes...also carried by Summit Racing...has a good supply of 3" and 4" ductwork, flanges, reducers, and a bunch of other air plumbing parts for DIY setups. Don't really know or claim that those parts would be any more functional or effective than the hardware store items here, but it's another source of parts if one wants to take a different approach. I think I may have found my choice of cold air scoop to mount in the lower grill opening...once the proper hole is cut. The part pictured here came from a window exhaust kit for one of those DeLonghi room AC units...the kind you don't have to stick in the window. Looks like it was made for our lower grill panel...with the proper hole, of course. I'll have to shim the big round inlet hole a bit for a tight 4" fit, but that will be relativel easy. I'm sure there are other similar products for everything from dryer vent systems to other possible candidates. The nice 8" X 2" oval hole was handy on this part.

With a better flowing aftermarket filter, I'm thinking this airbox mod when coupled with a better flowing air tube over to the throttle body would probably give all the cfm that most people would need for trailer towing and more common uses short of just WOT, drag racing, high rpm performance. The stock air filter size is fairly huge. All of this coupled with a better flowing muffler should be a decent bang-for-the-buck approach that doesn't break the bank.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ram Air Scoop.JPG (84.7 KB, 253 views)

Last edited by TNC; 11-14-2011 at 11:55 AM. Reason: add pic