Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram Express
Trim Level: Express
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:12
TNC is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanMango2010 View Post
Just reading through here. I was looking at ebay seups the other day and wouldn't they be similar to this setup?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-09-10-11...sories&vxp=mtr
That's basically a standard CAI like many already out there, isn't it? The quality and durability of the components might be debatable, but who knows. I think the neat thing about the OP's thread here is the cold air/ram air aspect of his mod and for very little money. The factory intake is already a cold air system, albeit probably less overall flow. Like I mentioned earlier, I think you're going to get some decent improvement with the OP's cold air, ram air mod and a better flowing OEM sized filter. I was looking at the size of the OEM filter in my '12 Express, and it has quite a few square inches of flow service. When the higher flow filter is coupled with a ram air inlet, and perhaps a more efficient air tube from the box to the throttle body, I'd bet that's all most people would need for trailer towing power and fuel economy. Put on a better flowing muffler and you're out the door with some effective mods and not a lot of money.

I can see the larger CAI systems being a benefit for an application where more exhaust mods are involved and higher rpm power is the priority. Let me ask a question here. Do the aftermarket CAI systems just use the existing fender opening or do they offer more intake volume somewhere in their intake design? If you don't get a bigger opening into the aftermarket box, it would seem that you're not taking full advantage of the what appears to be a bigger filter. For that matter, has anyone actually tried to calculate how much surface area there is on one of these aftermarket cone filters compared to the OEM surface area? I notice the Volant CAI seems to have an opening and an optional attachment for a cold air ram air addition much like the OP's mod on the OEM box here. And I guess one could add a ram air inlet like this one to just about any CAI box out there if they don't already have one.