View Single Post
Old 11-15-2011, 11:51 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Bright White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:209
Barnyard has a spectacular aura aboutBarnyard has a spectacular aura aboutBarnyard has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNC View Post
That's basically a standard CAI like many already out there, isn't it? The quality and durability of the components might be debatable, but who knows. I think the neat thing about the OP's thread here is the cold air/ram air aspect of his mod and for very little money. The factory intake is already a cold air system, albeit probably less overall flow. Like I mentioned earlier, I think you're going to get some decent improvement with the OP's cold air, ram air mod and a better flowing OEM sized filter. I was looking at the size of the OEM filter in my '12 Express, and it has quite a few square inches of flow service. When the higher flow filter is coupled with a ram air inlet, and perhaps a more efficient air tube from the box to the throttle body, I'd bet that's all most people would need for trailer towing power and fuel economy. Put on a better flowing muffler and you're out the door with some effective mods and not a lot of money.

I can see the larger CAI systems being a benefit for an application where more exhaust mods are involved and higher rpm power is the priority. Let me ask a question here. Do the aftermarket CAI systems just use the existing fender opening or do they offer more intake volume somewhere in their intake design? If you don't get a bigger opening into the aftermarket box, it would seem that you're not taking full advantage of the what appears to be a bigger filter. For that matter, has anyone actually tried to calculate how much surface area there is on one of these aftermarket cone filters compared to the OEM surface area? I notice the Volant CAI seems to have an opening and an optional attachment for a cold air ram air addition much like the OP's mod on the OEM box here. And I guess one could add a ram air inlet like this one to just about any CAI box out there if they don't already have one.
I can only speak for my Volant - It uses the stock intake position as well as a 4" hole in the bottom of the air box (very close to where these guys have bee drilling theirs). Volant offers a ram air attachment that draws from the lower grille area for most trucks up to and including the '08's. I called yesterday and they are working on a more cost-effective solution for the 4th gens but have been delayed by SEMA. They couldn't give me an ETA on availability.

I'm thinking about trying something along these lines with my Volant (at least until there's is released). When/if they release theirs I can make the choice then.