Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram Express
Trim Level: Express
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:12
TNC is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADDOG View Post
I'd just go with a muffler swap here. If ya need sexier tips, then replace your stockers. It's a lot cheaper to go this route than a full catback.

Your stock system has resonators. The Magnaflow catback does not. I don't think you'll like the drone that could result.
I'd agree with MD on this. I've been doing way too much reasearch myself on this for my '12 Express which has the same very nice dual outlet pipes as the '11 from what I can tell. The OEM chrome tips are 4" in diameter by 7" long. Whether another inch in diameter of the tips is worth that extra money is up to the individual. As to the resonators, most of what you hear on this forum on the MDS equipped vehicles is that there's an annoying drone with those tailpipes without the resonators. I finally got to hear an '11 Ram 1500 hemi today that had an aftermarket muffler, a 17" Flowmaster, with resonators in place. Even the guy at the muffler shop said he thought these trucks sound better with the resonators in place. He's done it both ways, and he says the open tailpipes are a little obnoxious. I don't think I'd want mine any louder than the one I heard today, but hey...one man's obnoxious is another man's symphony...LOL!

Looks like I'm going to go with the 50-HD Flowmaster or the Borla. Both have the same 5" center locations on the dual outlets as the OEM muffler so they'll hook right up to the tailpipes. The muffler shop guy said he can easily make the necessary dog leg in the section of 3" inlet pipe for the front of the muffler...stock muffler is really, really long...most aftermarkets are around 18". He'll also weld on a factory style hanger at the rear of the muffler I choose for an almost factory fit. The 50-HD FM is a chambered muffler while the Borla is straight-through with the dual outlet branch like most Magnaflows. I sure would have liked to have heard a Borla or Magnaflow. Most people on this forum seem to like the Magnaflow quality and sound, but since it has 4" centers at the dual outlets, I want a staight bolt-up with the dual tailpipes just like the OEM, and the 4" outlet centers won't allow that.