View Single Post
Old 11-22-2011, 11:34 AM
US Army Retired

Vehicle: '11 Ram 1500 Big Horn Crew 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Brilliant Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:1178
ArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by IN2H2O View Post
You are probably correct...but while I'm in there I may as well go ahead and press in new valve guides and seals, replace the oil pump, water pump, freshen up the crank bearings, rings, etc...where do you stop? Everything has 280,000 miles on it.

As this is my primary vehicle, I would much rather drop in a newer engine, rebuild the old one on my time and then swap them back at a later date.

I can swap the engines in less time than most could replace the head gaskets and while it seems a daunting task, it is actually alot less hassle in the long run. I see people spend way more time and energy avoiding a job than the actual job would have taken in the first place.
Well put my friend, best of luck! I agree with you completely that the Hemi is unnesscary in most applications. I have always said if you NEED the kind of power/TQ that the Hemi provides, then you need a 3/4 ton truck. Wanting it however, is an entirely different matter.

2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring w/Tech Pack-6000K HID's, 20% tint, 35mpg, so I will leave it alone.
2002 Ford Focus ZTW Wagon-loaded, tinted, tunes and commuting. 163k miles and counting...