View Single Post
Old 11-27-2011, 06:44 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Bright White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:209
Barnyard has a spectacular aura aboutBarnyard has a spectacular aura aboutBarnyard has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNC View Post
LOL!...hey, that's actually some creative thought process there. I don't know...maybe a little more complicated that I want to go and probably overthinking on my part as to the downside of the 2 different openings. The reality for the operation of my pickup probably doesn't get a big boost from a ram air intake. I think I'll just stick with the additional air inlet to boost available volume. I put the K&N filter in last evening. I would like to consider a more efficient air tube to the throttle body perhaps later, but really, how restrictive is the stocker?
I was thinking of a small flap of 1/8" to 1'4" thick rubber. Thin enough to bend like a hinge but thick enough to not fold on itself and get sucked into the hole.

I have never measured the ID of the stock tube. Perhaps it's 'effective' ID is about what the aftermarkets are. The ribs are what causes more turbulent flow along the walls (effectively narrowing the flow diameter). Like you though, I'm not sure if it's enough to worry about unless you're racing @ WOT all the time.