Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:10
Thaeric is on a distinguished road
Default No Heat - and winters coming!

2002 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 1500 4.7 sport 4x4
Last 8 of the vin: 2J238687
(Single zone climate control)

Summary of Problem:
No heat from any vents (floor, defrost, or dash).

What I've checked/done so far:
Blower motor checked - Ok
Heater core is working fine - have checked both hoses and they're both hot to the touch and roughly the same temperature.
Coolant level has been checked - Ok
Have let the truck run with the radiator cap off hoping any air in the system would be flushed - no change

Description of issues:
A month back the heat was great, would literally burn you out if you left it on high for too long. About 2-3 weeks ago, that suddenly, and without any warning signs, stopped. At the onset of the problem I noticed while playing with the controls that there was some heat coming out of the vents on the passenger side, but only cold air on the driver side. More testing of the controls, (and listening for blender door movement and vacuum leaks) over the following days resulted in absolutely no heat even from passenger side except when the fan is set to absolute lowest setting - and then only a very faint amount of warmth can be felt from the passenger vents. Shutting the fan off for 5-10 minutes and then turning it on low results in a short burst of warmth from the passenger side, but it quickly returns to cold.
When changing climate control settings I can hear the changes occurring - not sure if I am hearing an actuator or maybe the doors moving, but something is definitely moving with all adjustments, leading me to believe that the controls themselves are working.

I've done quite a bit of reading on this, and it seems that a fair number of people have had problems with blender door failure which results in the same symptoms. I'm leaning towards that being the issue - but I am disabled and not exactly wealthy so I need to try to make sure whatever I force myself to do (or pay for) is the correct problem as I may only get one shot at it before spending the winter shivering.
Can anyone think of anything else to check/try? Any other symptoms I should check for to validate that this is a blender door issue before pulling stuff apart to try to get to it?
From what I've listed here, does this sound like a blender door problem to you?
If I end up having to pay a shop for this repair, any estimates on what kind of price range we're talking about?
If I do try to tackle this myself, are there any resources (images, guides, etc) that you guys care to share or point me in the direction of?
I've read that it's not possible to repair this (if it is the blender door) without pulling the dash - something I am dreading because I'm not sure I can physically do that anymore, is that true? or is there a way to get to the problem without ripping out the dash? Where exactly would the problem be located at?

If there are any other details that I left out, or if you have any specific questions about the issue or the truck please let me know. I'm more than willing to answer anything I can and if necessary perform any tests I am capable of doing to work towards fixing this.

Thanks in advance everyone.

Last edited by Thaeric; 11-30-2011 at 11:03 AM.
Sponsored links