View Single Post
Old 11-30-2011, 11:52 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1995 Dodge Ram B2500 Van
Trim Level: SLT - 2500
Color: Deep Molten Pearl Coat, Silver, Grey
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:127
ramvan2500 will become famous soon enoughramvan2500 will become famous soon enough

You actually could get away with using a tranny from the 318, provided it's from a 318 in the 2500 series or 3500 series truck. The 46rh found in the 2500 series for example has a rated torque capacity of 600 ft/lbs however this number can be increased if you change out the input shaft/retainer to a billet of high strength steel (300M as praised) and you change the input shaft as they have a tendency to snap. Their are some other small modifications that you would want to do. You could just use a plain 46rh for example behind the cummins but you would want to take it easy, else wise just get a 47 or 48. as far as mounting is concerned you may need to change the bell housing, i'm unsure if the mount is the same for the cummins and 318 but you would either need a shim or rebuild the transmission in a new case. The 46rh would probably be the minimal acceptable transmission to be used behind a cummins and still it would need some mod's to have it take that kind of abuse. i must say though that these TF's especially the A500 series are power robbers. in all respects I believe the weakest part of the whole transmission is the overdrive, the whole transmission is simple design but the design of that OD could of been better. the sliding hub was good idea but same time bad idea because the sun gear has damaged the splines of the hub internally thus causing you to loose all your gears because it's hung up, happened to me and what a pain... another possible issue is the direct clutch piston, the machined grove for the inner seal has been overcut at the factory on a certain number of transmissions and well causes reverse slips and 2-3 binds but luckly many rebuild kits now include two different seals. anyway's you cannot pick out which transmission to use based on the engine because the manufacture based the transmission to be used on the application 1500, 2500, 3500. of course the 46 is found behind the 318 and not the v6. v6 has the 42 rh. oh just remembered if you use any transmission behind the diesel you will want to check the front planet how many gears are in the carrier, the more gears will not affect the gear ratio but it affects the duty rating so you would want to upgrade from lets say a 3 pinion to a 5 or 6. another thing that i think is an issue is when the intermediate shaft has been re drilled with large lube holes, I find that to be a issue because you could possibly reduce pressure at the opposite ends from the feed. but that's just my opinion on that. of course any transmission used in towing or behind a high torque vehicle use a oversized transmission cooler, these transmission get very hot very quick. anyways 2 cents paid