View Single Post
Old 12-05-2011, 01:40 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2001-2003 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 24-Valve Diesel I6 235hp 460lb/ft (manual and auto)
Rep:10
asghert is on a distinguished road

Tried to tighten the steering gear yesterday. I lifted the front end and made several adjustments (in). I did notice the tire moving slightly after about an inch of travel when I finally quit so maybe it's better. It's tough not to second guess myself. I'm really picky about steering. Anyway I'm ordering a stabilizer from customdiesel today. Hopefully get it in this weekend. I'll get rid of this truck if I can't get the steering fixed. This is ridiculous. I look like I'm drunk on the interstate.

Here's another question. I had two alignments done last month (post lower ball joints). The first gave me a refund because they couldn't set my steering wheel.(They couldn't align it either.) The next place got the steering wheel straight. Here's the problem: When we test drove it he said it would have "memory steer" for about 600 miles with the new ball joints and that it would seem like a pull. I think it still has a pull to the left beyond the memory steer. I couldn't get them to agree. In Tennessee our roads lean to one side pretty hard for runoff and when the road leans to the right and I go left that tells me I have a problem. Tire pressure is good.

Any suggestions? It's not an extreme pull, maybe half a lane every 100 yds.