Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 2500 HD
Trim Level: ST
Color: Brilliant Black
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
Blackthunder is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TransEngineer View Post
No, we don't design our transmissions to self-destruct. These converters do not generate debris, and they don't destroy the transmission pump (or other internals).

The turbine hub spline teeth will brinell in over time, which will cause the backlash to increase slightly (and the noise to get worse), but this does not mean the parts will eventually wear out or fail. The spline teeth are not all perfectly sized and spaced, so under torque some teeth will come into contact first while others remain unloaded. The "high" teeth (that come into contact first) will eventually get peened down (due to the contact stress). This spreads the load onto more and more teeth (as the "high" teeth brinell), which reduces the load on each tooth (the total torque is spread over a greater number of teeth). Eventually, you reach a point where the contact stress is low enough that no further brinelling occurs.

The tooth brinelling does not generate any significant debris, although it will increase the backlash (and worsen the noise) to some extent. But don't think that a noisy converter is doomed to premature failure, or that it's generating lots of debris that is destroying your transmission. That is simply not the case.
TransEngineer-

First off, many thanks to you for chiming in on this issue. Your expertise and the answering of questions are much appreciated.

I have just one more question:

I had my TC replaced back in March. So far the noise is gone to my satisfaction. Am I to expect that once the tooth brinelling is complete in the current TC in my Ram, the noise will return? Thank-you in advance.