Trim Level: SPort
Color: Blue
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:10
trip98 is on a distinguished road
Default 1998 Dodge Ram Heater Core Swap now Issues

Hello Everyone

1998 dodge ram 1500 sport, with AC.

The original heater core had began to leak, I would notice a coolant haze on windows. When driving you would see coolant fumes blowing through the vents. It looked kind of like dust but it was coolant. The heat worked perfectly still.

I purchased a new heater from Advance auto, and began the process. I removed all the bolts and dropped the steering column to be able to pull the dash away. As I got to the heater core area I noticed that the top corner of the core had a large scale build up. Therefore that is were my leak is from. I cut the old tubes of the core and pulled them through the fire wall and let them stay in the engine area until that time.

With the old heater still in the box attached to the firewall, there was a white plastic piece over the actual core. I had to move this by hand in order to pull the old core out.

Now I have installed the new core and was unable to get this white plastic elbow, with a metal wire attached to sit back over top of the new core. The new core also does not sit perfectly flush as the orginal did.

I have put the dash and lines all back together and now the issues begin.

There is no heat, the heater core is very warm to the touch, I have bleed the system numerous time for air bubbles. There are no leaks.

The fan positions all work perfect, fans speeds, and all directional functions work properly.

Now the temperature control knob is hard to turn from hot to cold, I was able to get my hand above the heater core with the glove box removed. I was able to push the metal wire and watch the knob attached to the dash move a bit.

Sorry for the long read, is there anyway I can get the heat to work again?

cheers
Sponsored links