View Single Post
Old 12-12-2011, 04:33 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1997 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 club
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Electric Blue
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
Rep:210
sonocativo has a spectacular aura aboutsonocativo has a spectacular aura aboutsonocativo has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by snrusnak View Post
I'm sure my hearing is not nearly as bad as yours (as you're getting a hearing service dog), but my hearing is very poor and it sucks not being able to hear people! I noticed that I have sort of learned to read lips without even knowing it as if someone is talking to me and I can't see their mouth I can't make out what they are saying. I usually can't make out what is being said on the phone either.

I'd recommend a lab for you, we have two lab mixes and they are awesome dogs; very loyal and obedient. They are people dogs, they love to be around people, sometimes my dog won't even go out in the morning to pee unless I stand out on the lawn with her lol.
Yes, Labs are awesome, we had 2 Rosco and Conan.
I wear hearing aids but they are not helping me a whole lot, My wife and I took ASL (American Sign Language ) this past year at college and still working on it.. But when my aids are out I am legally deaf. So, the service dog will help me listen for the baby, smoke detectors ( I cant hear the beeps even with the aids in ) so I have alot of dangers that surrounds me daily. If anyone is in need of a service dog, they are easy to qualify for, one site I found they are free except the application fee and special supplies that come with the dog ( certifications/service vest and leash/ect...) here is a link if you are interested in checking it out.
http://www.supportdogs.org/Programs/Assistance-Dogs

I read lips as well, but not as good as I once did... going through a rough high school and people challenged you for staring at them, so I kind of shy'd away from it but have been getting back into the lip reading again. Sign language is kinda cool to learn, since I have taken it I see more people at restraunts who are deaf, never noticed it before and can actually follow their conversation if sitting in a good spot to view them. Common courtesy, we are supposed to say I ( in sign language ) just so they know others can "see" what they are saying. We also have been "visitors" at a few churches where they hold deaf worship services and "Family Night" which is kinda cool to go to and watch silent films and share food that everyone brings, if its a standard movie a hearing person will stand up front and sign the movie for the deaf...

Last edited by sonocativo; 12-12-2011 at 04:41 PM.