Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram Express
Trim Level: Express
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:12
TNC is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by snrusnak View Post
I agree, but IMO you will get the same readout through the OBDII port on a scangauge as at the dash, because all the gauges on modern vehicles are electronic anyway, so they will react the same/same timing, etc...as your scangauge will be getting the same exact signal that the dash gets; as in it's not a "better" or "quicker" signal. The biggest benefit to digital is you can see minor changes that are hard to see on a needle...The more the better though, I often use my superchips gauges to moniter IAT, load, O2's, etc...
Not sure if we're agreeing or disagreeing on the dash guage issue. That needle is still an analog device...isn't it? I know it's getting an eletronic signal through the ECM, but that final device we're actually seeing has a mechanical aspect to it...doesn't it? I used a bourdon(?) tube mechanical guage on my old '89 Jimmy 4X4 for the same reason...truer, quicker coolant temp readout. I know I like that ability to see a one degree change in that temp at critical times. No, I'm not constantly driving down the road with one eye on the tranny and engine temp readouts on my Dashawk...LOL!...but at those critical points where temps start building, it's nice to see how fast and how high, so that you can react if necessary.