Old 12-14-2011, 10:28 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram Express
Trim Level: Express
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:12
TNC is on a distinguished road

I pretty much notice this behavior on just about all vehicles with overdrive designs in their auto trannies. You have to mash down a fair amout on the pedal to get the tranny to shift to an effective gear for acceleration and/or passing. Generally when you find a vehicle that "kicks down" very easily, they are often the ones that constantly hunt-and-peck in their up and down shifts while in mildly hilly terrain or under a load when pulling a trailer and such.

Now, I'm making a general statement here, so it's not say that your tranny is doing exactly what it should. Internet diagnosis of shifting characteristics from one person's expectations to another can get fuzzy. I had a 700-R4 tranny in an '89 GMC Jimmy 4X4 that was one of those hunt-and-peck shifters, and it was a constant irritation...and not good on the tranny. I had the entire tranny rebuilt with an aggressive valve body and shift kit mod, and it was a pleasure to drive afterwards. It didn't kick down unnecessarily, and yes, it required more throttle pedal pressure to make it kick down when necessary. I'll take that any day over the higher wear issue and just plain old irritiation of a constantly shifting tranny. I like the characteristics of the overdrive in my '12 Express with 3:55. I can give it a little gas at highway speed in 6th speed, and it stays in gear. When I really need the more aggressive acceleration for any situation, I just mash the pedal some more. Maybe it's something you just need to get used to?...or you can manually downshift.