View Single Post
Old 12-20-2011, 07:30 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: ST
Color: Red
Rep:73
IN2H2O will become famous soon enough

Well, I finally got around to firing it up today. Nothing like bringing a big project to a grinding halt and spending an entire day working on the "Honey Do" list. On the flip side, the wife does have a brand new 2012 Honda Accord to drive while I continue to drive my old truck into the ground.

Start up was everything I expected. I killed my battery a couple times priming the fuel injection. I'm sure there is a proper way to do it but I just kept cranking till it fired. It is running great now except for a little bit of a stumble in the idle. It had a slight hesitation on initial opening of the throttle body as well but that turned out to be a gummed up Idle Air servo. The entire intake is caked in oil since it was pulling so much oil from the crankcase and the servo was almost plugged solid.

As for the rough idle, it's not like a cylinder is not firing, it's more like one is not firing correctly. Not sure if i should be swapping injectors or coil packs...I have 280K miles on the current coil packs so it won't hurt to try them first but I think it's a fuel injector. I installed the ones that came with the motor so I may swap in my old ones since they were running good in my old engine. I am going to put a few miles on it tomorrow and see if it clears up.

About the only problem i can see with this entire project is that now that my engine runs so much smoother and quieter, all I can hear is how worn out my front end is. I will be replacing lower control arm bushings tomorrow I guess.