View Single Post
Old 12-30-2011, 03:10 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1995 Dodge Ram B2500 Van
Trim Level: SLT - 2500
Color: Deep Molten Pearl Coat, Silver, Grey
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:128
ramvan2500 will become famous soon enoughramvan2500 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmikelrg View Post
Hey guys where and what kind of torque converter should I get to increase the most amount of torque? And is this an essential part for t.q. ? And what else should and can I get to increase torque and h.p. besides a new ring and pinion..... P.s. I came up on 3000$ recently and want to spend up to 1000$ on parts for my truck help me out guys thanks for your time. Oh and I currently have hypertec programmer cai and throttle body spacer and the kegger+ the carb.mod so no advice to getting those plz thx.
If you want to be sure you get all your ponies out of the engine rebuild the transmission for performance. Next thing you should do is get a better balanced driveshaft then the stock. STAY AWAY from aluminum. Your torque converter will lockup around 35 MPH so yea... Read up on a torque converter, what it is really a coupling device between the engine and transmission however at low RPM's it multiplies engine torque to help get the vehicle and whatever is attached to it moving. But once the vehicle is up to speed the transmission locks the TC thus you get a 1:1 physical connection between the engine and transmission. Typically a low to medium stall is fine for your truck because it produces the most torque at around 2200 RPM you would want to subtract 700 as per rule for picking a converter and then subtract about 300 for variables. So look for a low stall converter. Another thing you should do is put an external cooler for the transmission. If you want to you can upgrade the engine radiator to an all aluminum my advice stay away from the 3 row, I made the mistake of buying a 3 row all aluminum and it over cools the engine, engine doesn't reach temp and well it runs to rich suck suck suck gas, for you, your truck may not run because of the tighter emission program on the ecm. If you want better gas mileage lower the axle ratio but must say the typical 3.55 is perfect. their is little that can be done to magnum engines or any engines with computers because the timing is set by the ecm and that's why they make programmers and performance chips but still not quite like old carb'd vehicles. Maybe an open exhaust with some hooker or gibson headers would be a nice touch. Change the fuel injectors to the Bosch ones, they atomize the fuel better then the stream spray stock ones... Change the ignition coil, the accel one I have heard is decent. Personally I would change over to the MSD ignition but that's expensive to do and no matter what kind of ignition system you have and engine will still miss. All engine miss! If you want more power you can put that 3 row radiator in because it makes the engine run rich so more HP and Torque BUT BUT, you the truck will suck gas like you suck air.