View Single Post
Old 12-30-2011, 08:49 PM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3277
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

You could give it a try, but with the height of these vehicles you would end up with a lot of reverberating drag under the vehicle. A better bet would be to lower the ride and put on a front bumper cover to deflect most of the air around the side. You are driving a 5600lb brick (a bluff-type body), aerodynamics are almost unheard of on these things because they're not designed to drive at the speeds that major aerodynamic effects would kick in; ok, well, having my truck up to 155mph definately feels like you're a brick in a wind tunnel.

The underbody drag is negligable compared to the bluff face that these trucks present; you're pushing a massive wall of air which most goes over and to the sides, and with the front airdams a very small amount goes underneath. The biggest source of drag is the cab/bed low pressure roll and tailgate low pressure roll, so if you could negate these then you'd be looking at improving the aerodynamics drastically and would see better results compared to an underbody tray. But, I won't tell anyone not to give it a try and see what the results are, because imperical evidence beats theoretical any day of the week.