View Single Post
Old 12-31-2011, 01:16 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1995 Dodge Ram B2500 Van
Trim Level: SLT - 2500
Color: Deep Molten Pearl Coat, Silver, Grey
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:127
ramvan2500 will become famous soon enoughramvan2500 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen1dak View Post
Ramvan, you don't simply shatter pistons by adding a turbo. Rather, it is the amount of boost. Limited to around 9psi, it'll be fine. Granted, that's quite an expense for limited boost when 12-14 psi could easily be run on good pump gas. For that level of boost, forged pistons would be needed. Check out the '87 Dakota 360 twin turbo test mule. Blast from the past. Man if only they'd built that one!
http://clubs.hemmings.com/clubsites/...prototype.html
Putting a turbo on a magnum engine just isn't practical. In order to avoid damage you would have to really know what you're doing. Their was a post made on some other forum of a man with his dakota I think that put a turbo on it and well bye bye piston but I think he was expecting it to break. I can't find the darn post but I'll keep looking.

Anyway's the pistons in the magnum engine are fine maybe not for turbo application but I never put a turbo on my magnum though I thought of it hah. I think having forged wouldn't be a wise move for just a few reasons, one would be the weight it would probably put some drag on the stroke and the ECM would get confused with timing (possibly), another issue might be with expansion as the magnum engine was designed with aluminum pistons because aluminum expands over twice as fast as iron does so this ways the piston keeps it's shape and it's seal. Also the aluminum piston's were used to better distribute the heat from the piston. But just throwing a turbo on a magnum and that's it will damage the engine, it would need to be done properly to avoid the damage. Besides you can probably get more hp and torque in higher RPM's with other modifications besides a turbo which not to mention having an engine that can only handle so much boost.