Old 01-01-2012, 07:02 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: EXPRESS
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:32
BigRedHemi is on a distinguished road

Bw34. I am no expert but from my experience, When you first tow any trailer you should find a safe place and drive to 25mph and hit your brakes. If the trailer brakes lock up then with the + - button on your brake controller hit the - button so the brakes do not lock up at 25mph. If at 25mph the trailer brakes do not stop the trailer, then unjust the + to add more power to the brakes. If you load something on the trailer, you should perform this test again. I will be honest, I find it hard to find a safe place to do this at times. If you are seeing the brake number increase while braking that will just show you that your brake controller is sending more current to the trailer. Your brake controller also has 2 buttons close together when pulled together can be used to stop trailer sway. You could try this in a safe place to see if the trailer brakes will lock up just to see if the trailer brakes are working. The battery on the trailer may be used for an automatic winch to aid in loading a disabled vehicle. I cannot be sure without seeing the trailer. I am concerned that you did have a short to ground. I would make sure the wires, connector on the trailer are all good. Just my two cents. Hopefully others will chime in,