View Single Post
Old 01-02-2012, 04:52 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2640
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

For those that are new to the NAV radios in the Rams

NAVTEQ has been used in all of them for many years
The Garmin Maps just started being available in 2011

I have the RER 730 radio, it has the NAVTEQ maps, the thing that i really like about it is that
I use VERBAL commands as i am driving down the highway, to do what i do with the buttons, when sitting parked
I open the Nav map, press the button with the face in profile speaking, the Nav voice asks me what i want to do & i answer the prompts,
the only thing that is an issue, is that if you want to go some where that has a Spanish, North American Indian, or maybe a Cajun type name, it doesn't understand it, it will ask a couple times, then it either asks you to spell it or just plain quits.
I just bought the map UPGRADE from Navteq, it is on Special, $149 + tax & shipping, it also came with the Latest radio software update Ver 2.402 for the RER radio, the radio now has some added features, one of which makes adjusting the sound easier

I still carry my Garmin NUVI, it works better then the radios maps, & the maps used are from NAVTEQ.

Looks like Garmin get the Maps through NAVTEQ

Even though Garmin takes map submissions, they can't do anything other than what you do by going straight to NAVTEQ and make your own submission and buy doing so will be faster because the report is instant:
http://mapreporter.navteq.com/dur-we.../secured/submi...

You can also go to the above link and see the newest NAVTEQ maps not yet available for your Garmin, but will be sometime in the future. Maybe months or even a year after after NAVTEQ has the new map, it may be quite a while before Garmin uses it
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle

Last edited by GTyankee; 01-02-2012 at 06:05 PM.