Old 01-03-2012, 10:39 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: BetterThanYours
Trim Level: TheBest
Color: TheBest
Rep:44
TarisKellog is on a distinguished road
Default Truck Condom aka paint protection film

I purchased clear paint protection film to cover the front hood (up about 12"), front bumper, headlights, tailgate, and sides up 18". Film is made by 3m and has a 5 year warranty. Total cost of film $630. The front pieces came pre-cut whereas I ordered bulk pieces for the sides and tailgate. On the bulk film I had to cut out areas for badges and tailgate handle. Also, had to cut to fit each door and area in front of rear wheel.

Started on the truck condom install this past weekend. Have been waiting for warm days to do the install, and looks like mid 40's was as good as I was gonna get. Tools I used were the smoothing yellow tool, towel, hair dryer, small scissors for trimming, tape measure, spray bottle filled with alcohol/water solution, and lots of patience.

Day 1 - Installed the front first.

Day 2 - Installed the tailgate and 3/4 of driver side

Driver side completed on gold two-tone color. 4 pieces total. Will be adding another 6" to the bottom of the green color.

Waiting on another sunny weekend day to finish the driver side and entire passenger side. Each day I worked on this a minimum of eight hours. Started around 29 degrees (8:30am) and would finish around 34 degrees (4:30 to 5pm). Although I was doing this all day for 2 days it didn't feel like an all day job. I really took my time and allowed my obsessive compulsion to drive me. I washed each area prior to installing since I had a bit of road grime.

Helpful hints: use lots of water/alcohol solution. The film smooths out much better when it is wet and the vehicle is wet. There is a high degree of stretchiness to the film but be careful when stretching as it may be harder to smooth edges when stretched. Use a hair dryer to heat film so it will contour to curves and to help flatten edges. Use lots of smoothing strokes to remove air bubbles. Sometimes I would smooth one area over and over and over and over. When cutting bulk film I used a quilters cutting wheel to give a smooth cut over a long distance. If you use scissors you will get a jagged cut and it will not smooth as nice. Scissors are good for detail trimming only.

When installing the front hood I found it easier to start in the middle and smooth outwards. When installing the tailgate and sides I found it easy to start at the top all the way across and work down.

Any questions about specifics just message me.
Sponsored links