Old 01-06-2012, 11:27 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram Express
Trim Level: Express
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:12
TNC is on a distinguished road

That is a horror story. I would have hoped better for a state like Virginia, but I guess its proximity to New York finally allowed it to catch the tax disease. Government, even sometimes at the more local level, seems totally out of control. It's become a money-eating monster with no lack of appetite. I hate these "occupy" idiots, because their base value system is about zero...but...it's probably getting to a point of some kind of revolution. I just hope that it can be done at the polls in the near future rather than in the streets and at the barrel of a gun. That may sound crazy, but in many critical areas government and the politicians involved have become unresponsive to the majority of the people.

On the truck issue in VA, is the "truck" category more impactive there because it's a 1-ton? Would your situation have some different elements if it was a 1/2 ton, putting the assessed value aside? On that towing issue, I'm guessing that's because it's a 1-ton? I've seen some parking issues in some cities that have regs like that...putting a 1-ton pickup in a commercial category. Our city had such a reg, but it was finally removed when it was realized how archaic that 50's reg was when a 1-ton vehicle actually was only a commercial vehicle. If you have a state or city that has such a law, it's usually based on an ancient reg. In "the old days", a 1-ton vehicle was often rather big and a bit of a safety hazard when parked on-street in residential or some other areas. Classifying a 1-ton pickup in that way today is totally ridiculous.

Texas is one of those states without a PP tax as named...no income tax either. Sales tax, though a PITA, may be about the fairest way to tax, and we have that. BLKSVT, here in Texas, aren't our pickup tags usually a few dollars lower than most automobile tags? My pickups/trucks have always had lower license plate fees than my cars. My wife's Chevy HHR could be classified as either, and at time of purchase the dealer suggested that we get "truck" plates. It saved about $20. I think in Texas we still look at pickups as a sacred category...LOL! That may change with a 1-ton, I don't know about that. My sales tax on my '12 1/2 ton Ram was about $280, and that's a one time tax at purchase.