Old 01-06-2012, 12:53 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 Longhorn
Trim Level: Longhorn
Color: Deep Cherry Red
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
Spud67 is on a distinguished road

Here is the latest information I have received about this routing problem with these new radio/nav systems in the newest vehicles.

Email from NAVTEQ:

"Thank you for contacting NAVTEQ.

Unfortunately, Navteq does not make the maps for Dodge or for Garmin. Navteq is a raw data provider. We provide the same data to Garmin that we do to Dodge, but it is up to each manufacturer what they decide to put on their maps, and how they format their maps. We are just a third party distribution for Dodge. I apologize for the inconvenience. I hope you have a nice day!

If you need additional assistance, please send us your feedback by replying to this email.

Kind regards,

NAVTEQ Customer Service
P.O. Box 1588
Orem, UT 84059"

Email from Garmin:

"Thank you for contacting Garmin International. I apologize, but the 730N is made by MyGig not Garmin, so you will have to contact them for further questions.

Thank you,

Barry H.
DTS
Garmin International"

Email from MyGIG support:

"So I found out the problem. The data on the Navteq data base is divided into two categories, roads that are verified (meaning that a test car has gone on them with a special GPS system and verified that they exist) and IPD (In Process Data meaning that the roads were inputted from some source like maps or satellite photos and has not been verified , use to be called TIGER DATA). Most of the roads in this route are in the IPD category. Chrysler also has a spec that says we should avoid IPD roads and the radio was programmed to do that. I agree this is not very good for people like you that live out in rural areas that have not much verified coverage, but Chrysler is the boss. Not much we can do to fix this unless Chrysler changes their specs.

Sorry
MyGIG expert"

Email from Chrysler:

"Thank you for your email of January 3, 2012.

We are sorry to learn of the problems experienced with the navigation
system of your 2012 Dodge Ram (VIN: 1C6RD7PT8CS123596) and of the
resulting inconvenience.

All service contacts are handled exclusively by our dealer network.
Regrettably, we are unable to provide assessments by correspondence. As
such, if further inspection of your vehicle is required for the outlined
condition, please alert your dealer. Our resources remain at their
disposal.

May we take this opportunity to thank you for your Chrysler purchase.
We certainly hope you enjoy your vehicle for many years to come."

The fight continues with Chrsyler. I will be back at the dealship on Monday to have mud flaps installed and other things done that were agreed to when I bought the truck. I will have lots of time to deal with the service guys and other people higher up in the dealership to find out what can be done with this.

We spend our hard earned money on nice things and they don't work the way we would expect them to work. I am very frustrated, almost to the point of returning the truck and saying to hell with it and continue driving my 96 SLT that has been a great truck.