View Single Post
Old 01-09-2012, 08:40 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Trailer sway gets further out of control with two things: increased speed and increased trailer weight. If you think it's ok to tow at high speeds you've never had a trailer fish tail around behind you for what seemed to be no apparent reason. Once it happens once you will learn to slow down with a trailer. You not only put yourself at risk but put everybody in a vehicle anywhere near you at risk. I had a 3,000 lb (empty) dump trailer with probably 3,000 lb or so in it, behind a late 90's turbo cummins ram 2500 truck doing 70mph down a straight, flat, smooth 4 lane road (two lanes each side) and all the sudden it started swaying and I lost control, the trailer swayed side to side about 90 degrees (I know because I saw both sides of the trailer in each side mirror) several times and I luckily hurt no one as there was nobody in the lane next to me and plenty of shoulder area. I think the truck being so huge and heavy is what saved me and let me get it under control, but I could in fact feel the rear wheels of the truck hopping back and forth, pretty scary.

EDIT: I firmly belief that driving tests should be MUCH more strict, and actually test the skill level of a to be driver, and I think to tow a trailer on any kind you should have to take an additional test.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.

Last edited by snrusnak; 01-09-2012 at 08:42 PM.