View Single Post
Old 01-12-2012, 09:28 PM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3272
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

You can have custom shafts made for around $2K, so $800 on a new set of HA shafts is a deal. Surprisingly, the market is very small for this mod as so many people just replace blown joints or drop the transfer case and get a custom 1/2 shaft. The major lifts are done on the solid axle rigs, so that's why there's not that much support for them. I will be going with the KORE shafts as well when I drop my 4x4 a few more inches (same issues as lifting, just in the opposite direction) as I'm pretty much maxed on my CVs with the 2/4 drop.

The reason they cost $800 is they use a CV joint that can handle up to 30 degrees and not come apart, the stock only handle up to 15 degrees. If I remeber correctly they're based off of a porche 930, but were from an updated material. As simple as it sounds to just increase the angle, it is extremely difficult to maintain constant velocity across an angle. Take a wobble joint on a socket and try to keep both ends in the same place while you spin it, doesn't work, because the ends are trying to follow an eliptical patern, not a stationary rotational one. This puts a lot of stress on the joint, increasing heat generation, and eventually they seize or blow through the boot that holds the lubricant. You can try burfield joints which handle high angles, but they have a bad tendancy to blow apart at high RPM, however they're great for handling torque.

Another option is to contact Tom Woods and see if they'll build you a custom set of double-cordon joint shafts.