View Single Post
Old 01-14-2012, 10:29 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram quad cab 1500
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:10
05qc is on a distinguished road
Default 05 4.7 coolant leak

well guys and gals, i got a coolant leak on my 05 with the 4.7. 55k miles on the clock, motor runs great, but i noticed about a week ago a spot under the passenger side of the motor in front of the engine cradle or whatever it is (forgot, i'm a mustang guy and know more about those lol) underneath the coolant hose that runs down to the bottom of the motor.

it's leaking pretty good, i filled the reservoir last weekend up to the full line and now it's about halfway between low and full, so it's got a pretty good leak.

it's 22* out here right now and i crawled under it to check it out. appears that around the two waterpump bolts on the driver side there is coolant. there is also coolant around the oil pan and on the hose that runs down to the passenger side.

on monday i'm off work and it's supposed to be a bit warmer, i'll mess with it then. i'll get a system pressurizer from autozone and see if i can put 15 psi on it and find the leak

. not wanting this to become a more severe issue. i read that water pumps commonly go out on these. any idea where the weep hole is? that'd be my first guess, but i don't want to "throw parts" at it hoping to fix it either. so i guess i'm looking for a few helpful hints and answers.

if it's a water pump, how much of a pain in the butt is it to do a driveway mechanic's job on it? and how long does it take? i've got a garage full of tools ready to do the job, and i'm up to the task if it's not too bad. just don't want it to turn into a week long job as i need a truck for work.

any advice? thanks again guys!
Sponsored links