Old 01-16-2012, 06:07 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2002 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: slt
Color: Black
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:10
devans is on a distinguished road

Hey guy's, I just bought an 02 RAM last month and noticed the same thing over both rear wheels. The cause of the problem, at least on mine is there is a brace that is spot welded to the outer skin that is supposed to help keep that area rigid. The brace is designed so that road dirt gets deposited in between it and the outer panel and that dirt holds moisture which in turn leads to rust. Dowsing it in your favorite oil is a good temporary fix and I'm not knocking it but you would be better off fixing the problem. The best way I can think of is to seal the area where the brace meets the outer skin. If you don't have rust yet then clean the area real good and use something like the POR products mentioned earlier. Follow their directions. POR is used a lot to seal and keep old gas tanks from rusting out. If it stands up to gas then road grime shouldn't be a big problem. If you already have rust like me then the best way is to completely get rid of it. I plan on cutting out the rust and welding new metal in then seal the back side with POR. But that will have to wait for this spring. For now I'll oil it to slow it down.