Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 Crew Cab
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Deep Water Blue
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:52
astroman54 will become famous soon enough
Default Mygig RHR radio install in my 2009 1500

I wanted to let everyone know my experiences installing a 2011/2012 RHR high speed radio into my truck.

My truck is a 2009 Ram 1500 Sport which had the RES radio with the Uconnect option and the dual microphone rear view mirror.
The RHR radio must be a high speed bus radio.. I picked it up from a fellow member here for $800.
The RHR radio has two antenna connections. The first is for the AM/FM fender mount antenna. The second is for both the Sirius and GPS receivers. So you will either need to combine the two antennas into one input (the combination unit costs about $80 plus have to make special cabling) or replace the roof antenna with a dual band antenna from Chrysler from a newer vehicle (about $30).. I opted for the new dual band antenna. The RHR radio also has two USB connectors in the rear of the radio. If you want to put remote USB connections in your glove boxes, then you will need cables for this.

With my choice, the additional items you will need:
05064910AA Combination Sirius and GPS roof antenna (this P/N is for a Jeep Wrangler). About $30
82211666 Cable for interfacing between radio and the dual microphone mirror. Use this part number if your truck already has the dual microphone mirror. This is about $100.
An 11/16 inch flat washer. < $1.
Two mini USB 2.0 to USB A female cables. These are a little hard to find, but I found some on Ebay. Pricing in ebay varies...
To begin, the Combination roof antenna was meant for a thicker mounting surface than the 1500ís roof and will not fully tighten down to the 1500ís roof. The 11/16 washer is to compensate for the difference in thickness.. You will need to grind a notch in the outside diameter of the washer to clear the secondary (smaller) mounting pin on the new antenna. It is best to do this before you start.
Lower the rear headliner and remove the bolt holding the antenna in place.. (10 MM wrench).
You will need to enlarge the smaller mounting hole for the antenna for the new antenna to fit. (Unfortunately I canít remember what size I used..)
Place the new antenna through the holes and put the washer in place before tightening the mounting bolt. Ensure that the three fingers catch the bottom of the flat washer being used as a spacer. Plug the new antenna into the same connector that you disconnected the old one from.
Replace the headliner and any fascia you removed to get the headliner down.
Remove the old radio and remove the lower dash glovebox..
Install the new radio, but do not plug the center grey connector that was in the original radio. Plug the cable into this position from the new cable. I routed the two new USB cables, one to the lower console box and one to the lower glovebox.
Route the new cable behind and above the lower glove box. Remove the right front pillar cover and remove both visors. Remove the center ceiling console to allow the headliner to be lowered. Route the cable up the right pillar and over to the mirror. Disconnect the original cable from the mirror and plug it into the new cable. Plug the last end into the mirror. Route the cable so it is above the headliner and be careful to put the connectors above the headliner in a place where the headliner will go back up into position.
Replace the headliner, visors and right pillar cover.
Before you replace the glovebox. Look through it at the outside wall. You will see the original voice module mounted there.. Remove the cable from this module (you no longer need it because the voice recognition is built into the radio).. You can remove it, but I chose to leave it in place.
Replace the glovebox and the everything you removed to replace the radio.

Notes.. I replace the radio before getting the new antenna and cable. A couple of things were noted. 1. It didnít act like it heard anything I said.. (I didnít know that I needed that cable at the time. 2. Before I swapped roof antennas, the GPS acted like it was working.. BUT it had me driving around in Texas and not in NJ. Once I replaced the roof antenna, it had me back in NJ.. LOL
And a big one.. This doesnít look like itís supported by Chrysler. The parts guy at the dealership ordered the parts by the numbers I gave him, but said there was nothing noted where that radio would work in the 2009 Dodge 1500. As you can tell, it fully works including telling me what is playing on the radio on my dash (well, what # file is playing, not the title)..
I hope this was clear.. Please feel free to ask any questions..

Andy
Sponsored links