Old 01-26-2012, 01:32 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 95 & 98 1500 Ram 4x4s
Trim Level: SLT & Sport
Color: 1 Blk,1 Red
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:36
Screamintrashcan is on a distinguished road

I have HD shocks on my 98, no body lift, 245-65-16 8 ply rated tires, HD steer stabilizer, and it rides and drives terrible, steering is TOO stiff, and so is the ride... My 95 has a body lift, and std shocks and steer stabilizer, and 205-85-16 8 ply rated 'pizza cutter ' tires, rides & drives like a cadillac... My theory, don't get HD shocks, unless you carry heavy loads, the extra neoprene in the body lift blocks helps absorb shock, narrow tires give a much smoother ride, I would never ever again buy a HD steer stabilizer again, either, it removed my feel for the road. If your steering is sloppy, buy a Lukes Link and put it on your track rod, instead. These are both short cab, short bed trucks. With the miles you have, I'd think about the axle joints and the rear joint (carden joint??) on the front driveshaft, as well as front wheel bearings, and balljoints. A standby new fuel pump and pump sock would be suitable spares, too. pull the ball out of your trans cooling lines, too. (anti feedback valve) you wouldn't want to do a tranny job where you're at. spare water pump and main ign coil, too. Matter of fact, I'd probably buy Lukes links for all of my steering joints, as they are rebuildable, and parts can't be too easy to come by over there, all you need is some washers and a cotter pin to rebuild em, no screwing with the alignment, that'd probably be important there. I imagine a lot of dust, so I'd think about k&n air filter, too. one time expense.