View Single Post
Old 01-26-2012, 12:02 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 1995 Dodge Ram B2500 Van
Trim Level: SLT - 2500
Color: Deep Molten Pearl Coat, Silver, Grey
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:128
ramvan2500 will become famous soon enoughramvan2500 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris66 View Post

Hi Everybody,

Just came back from a trip, towing about 4500lb. The truck handled the load pretty well I would say, plenty of power, so I am quite happy here even though it seemed to have . What I didn’t like though, is that the rear end was feeling kinda “springy” to me, bouncing up and down sometimes (at least that was my feeling).
There are no mods on the truck other than few cosmetic ones and adding a canopy. I read a bit about these air bags you can install and I phoned the dealer to see what they think about the problem and if they have any suggestions. First thing they said was to blame it on the hitch equalizer, maybe wasn’t set and adjusted properly, so I am going to have it looked at just for the peace of mind.
Has anyone else experienced similar issues? Is it the hitch equalizer or is the coil springs in the rear suspension? If it’s the springs, will installing the air bags help?
Thanks for any feedback you can provide
Try using some real heavy duty shocks, not ones you can buy at a store, even use doubles if you must, that should help a little. If you want to use air bags which would be the best but not very cost effective way to correct the problem.

I was towing my 32" Thor with my van no weight distribution hitch just dead weight and it wasn't bad, it was a little bouncy when I hit a pot hole but it was quick to recover even with my 10 year old shocks (Monroe). I didn't have a problem with sway at all, mainly because I'm a pretty good driver. But just try better shocks.