Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: ST
Color: Red
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:73
IN2H2O will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by snrusnak View Post
I wouldn't pull the motor for a rear seal leak...and as far as the noisy lash adjusters, just let it be unless it's excessive, all these motors make that noise. I assume it goes away after a minute and only occurs on startup?
I think I found the leak, it was a pan bolt. Torque wrenches are nice but can be fooled when the threads are gummed up with some old gasket material. I got almost a full turn on one.

As for the noisy adjuster, it's much louder than normal startup noise and it's not going away after a minute at idle or when under pressure. I'd almost swear it wasn't getting any oil but I pulled the lash adjusters again today and probed the oil ports. They had plenty of oil in them, the head was fully coated and they all squirted oil when I cranked it over with the adjusters out. If it's a restriction, it's further back in the oil passage or possibly in the head gasket mating...which would be pretty odd considering how the head gasket positions with the centering tubes. I can't see anywhere where it could be hitting either, unless the noise is coming from one of the valves...

Could it be the timing chain? It has plenty of tension and oil coverage as well...

Last edited by IN2H2O; 01-29-2012 at 04:55 PM.