View Single Post
Old 01-30-2012, 06:44 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Rep:146
RadioFlyer will become famous soon enoughRadioFlyer will become famous soon enough

Both 3.7 and 4.7 are known to have issues with the valve lash adjusters...it is not your doing. Cut yourself a 4 ft garden hose and use it as a stethoscope to pinpoint the faulty adjuster and add a .00050 to .000100 shim to bottom of the adjuster and see if that works. You can also use the garden hose to pinpoint your vacumm leak (whistle). Always soak ur lifters over night unless they are installed and always prime ur oil pump with a drill motor or similar before startup. My hats off to you for your troubles you've been through and sticking with it. I wish I could have chimed in on your build earlier to help save you from some of the trouble you had. Your original engine was deff the way to go for the rebuild instead of a used purchase. It was most likely burning oil from rings and high milage and 280k miles is a proven engine to stick with. BTW...even though they are called lash adjusters they are not adjustable rocker arms. Also, judging from one of the pics, do not pull the engine out with the converter. I don't know if it was you or the guy you purchased the engine from but that's a no no. You can damage the front trans seal very easily like that. You may already know but just incase, never install the engine with it connected. Always install the converter in the trans and then mate the engine to it. Then align the flexplate holes to the converter and install the bolts. It's a wonder that you do not have a front trans seal leak. About your rear main oil leak...make sure that it's not the trans seal. Your engine is fine and you did a good job. Do some searching about ur rockers and follow the tips you learn...all is good and congrats on you build.
However, it looks like you've been driving it so all must be good. Sor te one set of pt splines. All

Last edited by RadioFlyer; 01-30-2012 at 06:47 AM.