View Single Post
Old 01-30-2012, 10:42 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Zero valve lash is not correct, especially with hydraulic valve trains. Normally if you adjust the lash this way you get valves that don't fully close. It's possible to get close to the appropriate clearance without a feeler gauge, you can adjust it until the push rod(or in this case valve lash adjuster) is just barely able to wiggle by hand(and I really mean just barely), but why would you do this when you can do it the right way and have accurate lash set with a $0.99 feeler gauge, not to mention it doesn't take any more time. There's nothing wrong with identifying which one is tapping, but personally I would want all the valves to have the proper clearance. I don't think chrysler checks and adjusts this from the factory, as about every engine has the same noise. I believe they feel that the hydraulic adjusters will make up for the loose clearance, which they do, eventually. He could probably leave them and it'd be fine, but it seems like he wants to get it perfect, so the best thing to do is to get proper lash on every valve. There's no point in doing one or a couple when the others may be out as well. There may not even be a published lash from chrysler, but typically for a hydraulic valve train you want about 0.030", adjusted using the correct method, I assume the valve lash adjusters are basically the same design as a lifter...Many people make mistakes when adjusting hydraulic lifters because they bleed down.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.