View Single Post
Old 01-30-2012, 10:59 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

0.030" of lifter preload. Most hydraulic lifters have about 0.060" of plunger movement, and you want it preloaded to about half of that, so 0.030". If you have the preload too loose or too tight the valves will either not fully close or the rockers will be loose causing tapping. I'm not positive if the OHC lash adjusters have the same range of movement, that's why I said it would be best to find a publishing from chrysler, or test the range of the plunger before install, or some other method to figure out the range. While on the engine you should be able to use a feeler gauge to find the range and then you can get the middle point. My whole point is that it should not be done by guessing, it'd run but not as good as it should and it could cause premature lifter failure.

EDIT: IN2H2O, I think superiorstyles would have an answer for you, and he always seems happy to help out. I'm applying what I know of lifters to the lash adjusters assuming they operate the same, but he has actually built these engines so has more experience than I do. He is the one who told me how you make the adjustments by shimming and not by adjusting the rocker arm (that was news to me).

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.

Last edited by snrusnak; 01-30-2012 at 11:02 AM.