Old 01-30-2012, 01:11 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Lone Star
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:19
TheRileyFactor is on a distinguished road

While I haven't washed (or seen in person) my black 2012, my previous vehicle was a black 2006 Audi A4... One of the biggest tricks is to use 2 buckets (one to rinse your microfiber mitt or sponge off and one with the actual soap in it) with your second bucket having a grate in the bottom that keeps your sponge a couple inches off the bottom of the bucket where whatever little bit of dirt/grit will settle... I also always used Meguiars soap... I think the gold class stuff? Can't remember off the top of my head and am about 8000 miles from my garage to check, lol... Then, after washing, I used microfiber towels and you don't wipe it dry but set the towel on the car and just drag it across... you'll likely need a few towels to thoroughly dry trucks of our size, but I needed usually about 3 of them for my Audi. I talked to a few people that swore by chamois, but the microfiber felt softer to me so I always felt safer using it... Afterward I always took the time to put a layer of wax that's high in Carnauba with no abrasives. I can't remember the name of the wax, but it was a larger tin that I got for like $50 or something and was what the detailing guys all recommended on the Audi forums similar to this one. A lot of people use way too much wax, and in this case a little goes a LONG way, and I used a microfiber wax applicator... well... I actually used 4 or 5 of them at least when I was taking the wax off... But with this method I was not only able to turn my Audi into a black mirror, but it also took care of nearly all of the scratches from the previous owners sub-par cleaning methods after a few washes and wax applications. I also had a few friends that would use the Quik Detailer stuff on their cars to keep them looking clean... I never really trusted it though, and once you get a good thick layer of wax going you don't need to wax your truck every time you wash it, but you have to build it up first. Oh, and don't wash/wax in direct sunlight if you can at all avoid it!

Black vehicles can be a pain to keep their paint looking perfect, but damn it if a wet-looking black vehicle just doesn't turn heads and give you a hardon, if you'll excuse the expression, lol