View Single Post
Old 01-30-2012, 03:29 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Hey RF I'm not trying to insult your intelligence. It seems like any thread we post in together this happens; some people just can't get along huh?

I have never done this on the 4.7L, but I believe it to be the same application as "normal" hydraulic lifters. Wouldn't you agree that the proper amount of lifter preload is important, rather than just guessing at it by putting shims under a noisy lifter? If you do just guess at it then you don't know how much to shim it, unless you check the clearance at the valve. Zero lash should only be achieved once the lifters are filled with oil; when they are not filled with oil the lash should not be adjusted to zero or the valves will not close all the way once they do fill with oil. This is the way I understand it, and how I've applied it in the engine's I've put together(I learned the first time I put an engine together that the lash should not be zero because when you try to fire up the engine and the valves aren't closing you don't get compression and it doesn't start...I then figured out after days of head scratching and with help from a friend that I had adjusted them wrong).

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.