Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2001 Ram 1500 4x4, 5.2L
Color: Flat Black
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:10
nicraage is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChillyPhil View Post
I'm looking for a cai for my 97 dodge ram 1500 5.2, and i was going to get one off ebay but i can't find it anymore. Then i was looking around autoanything and i came across the spectre cold air intake and it's only 150 bucks shipped and you even get 20 dollars mail in rebate.

What do you guys think of this system? Power/sound/reliability/installation wise?
I just bought one from ebay for half o that. The seller has some more
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Spectre-Cold...#ht_500wt_1413

I paid a little more to have it delivered to APO, and the seller shipped it right away.

Installation was easy, with the exception of fidling around for a while getting it to fit over the spacer (but it finally fell right in).

I can definitely feel the throttle response difference. I can also hear a huge difference when I step on the gas. My trans seems to shift real early, however when I step on the gas all the way. I'm having a bunch of work done, and I'll worry about that after it's all done.

I'm also going to modify it by adding some flexible gutter material to flow cold air from the grill to the box. Material is rigid yet flexible and will remain in the shape I want, and is also easily adjustable by length. It also looks like it belongs under the hood.

Downside: 1: I have a bit of a whistle between 3000-3500 rpm. I read that whistles are not uncommon, and not brand specific.
2: Not so sure I'm crazy about the aluminum tubing. I'm wondering if it heats up the air a bit. I'm thinking of wrapping the end with the clamp with electrical tape, and spraying the rest of the tube with some plasti-dip.