View Single Post
Old 02-02-2012, 07:07 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram, Quad Cab
Trim Level: ST with combo packag
Color: white
Rep:136
Dancianne will become famous soon enoughDancianne will become famous soon enough

As so many have posted here before, synthetics are the way to go. Regardless of how hard or how easy you use your vehicle, a major brand synthetiic will always outperform it's dino cousin given the recommended viscosity and oil change interval. Synthetics will indeed provide a greater margin of protection against high engine temperatures, but should the warning light ever come on, change the oil right away no matter the miles. It is also my understanding that in cold weather startups, a quality synthetic will begin to flow and therefore reach moving parts quicker (this unvarified example has been seen on the internet: .."a 5w20 syn will begin flow at the same rate as a 0w20 dino at freezing or below conditions."

As I do not change oil myself, I always have the dealer do it for the following reasons: a) I am assured of getting the factory spec filter installed; b) presumably the drain plug is tightened to factory spec torque value instead of just "snug", c) if the plug gasket needs replacing, I'll get it and it'll be the right one, d) my dealer also checks to make sure that all computer software updates are current at that time.

Some additional personal thoughts: Yes I've read those advertised claims of extended oil change intervals made by some synthetic oil brands (namely 15k and 25k) Who would wait that long?,...not me! True or not, in warranty or beyond, I've got to believe that the factory engineers know what is best for my Ram. In the long run, I'd think it false economy to believe that I could go that long between changes. I recommend that you use such claims for "peace of mind" reasons only and never exceed the service interval specified in your owners manual.

Just my own opinions, and as you know, everyone has one.....