Old 02-02-2012, 12:20 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Sport Crew Cab 4x4
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
SNFLWR is on a distinguished road
Default My 2011 Dodge Ram Crew Cab 4x4 Sport is very thirsty....

Ok, here is the situation along with my truck's options, etc:

I had a 2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited and I traded that in for a 2011 Dodge Ram Crew Cab 4x4 Sport, back in August of 2011. This truck is fully loaded with leather seats (heated and cooled), DVD, navigation, awesome sound system, 3.92 gearing, 20" rims, 5.7L Hemi V8, and the huge list goes on. Currently, she has 7679km on the odometer.

When I first bought the truck, I took my family to the Canadian Rockies (Jasper National Park), roughly 3 hours away, and enjoyed a great drive with fantastic fuel economy. Hinton, which is roughly 257 from my home, in Stony Plain, my truck had just over half a tank of fuel. Since that trip, my trucks fuel economy has fallen drastically.

That trip included towing a 1000lb utility trailer (full of camping gear), 4 children w/husky, with speeds between 130km/h - 140km/h, and the odometer reading was @ 500km.

Obviously, my truck has a 5.7L V8 and I didn't expect the fuel consumption to be near that of a Smart Car, but I also didn't expect to get such poor fuel economy either. By the way, I am not the type to "romp" on the "skinny pedal" especially with all of the photo radar and camera lights that are in abundance, here in Alberta. Also, I didn't expect my husband's 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited to be more fuel economic then my truck.

Here are some numbers:

@ 7433km, I put in 55.397L of fuel.
@ 7649km, I put in 58.275L of fuel.

That equals 216km per 1/2 tank. Prior to that fill up, I was averaging 60-80km per 1/4 tank. I am grateful that I am getting better fuel economy, but are the numbers supposed to be this bad? By the way, I haven't even used the 4x4 option (just in case that is a possible concern), I am not pulling a trailer, and I haven't done any mods besides installing a tonneau cover. In other words, she is still stock. Furthermore, I have taken my truck into a Dodge dealership and they don't see a problem, but asked me to record numbers over the next month.

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by SNFLWR; 02-02-2012 at 12:36 PM.
Sponsored links