View Single Post
Old 02-02-2012, 12:10 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Rep:146
RadioFlyer will become famous soon enoughRadioFlyer will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by snrusnak View Post
If you are going to go through the trouble of pulling the valve covers to shim the lifters, why not take a few minutes to actually measure and be sure they are right the first time? Why guess at it? I'm sure you have a caliper seeing you do a lot of work yourself, and it'll only take about a minute to measure each lifter. Just do it once and be done with it.
There's a c-clip at the top of a hydraulic lifter that holds the plunger in. Wth the lifter in question out, you can push the plunger down by hand and eyeball the distance see plenty of clearence (1/8"at least) for a lesser fifty thousanths. The guy in the vid used the max clearence of the plunger travel. He doesn't have to do that using an undersized shim. I guess if you don't know what 30 or 50 thousanths looks like then maybe he should measure it. But I would not start off with the whole 80 thousanths like the guy in the vid did. Of course he could drain an old lifter of oil and fill it up with resin to represent in solid form just to see if it solves the noise...it would still get lube, lol! But seriouly, if you could bump the oil pressure up with a high volume pump it would most likely solve this bleed down problem....that's what I would do! They're bleeding down because there is not enough oil getting to them so take the guess work out by getting the propper amount of pressure to it. I could put a high volume pump with a high pressure releif valve spring in it and blow the oil filter gasket off...bet the lifters won't bleed dow then.

Last edited by RadioFlyer; 02-02-2012 at 12:14 PM.