View Single Post
Old 02-02-2012, 06:43 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Quote:
if you think the shims are the best way out then why don't you shim you $30k truck to improve yours.
Why would I shim mine that don't have any issues?

Quote:
I'm saying that just because the guy in the vid used the maximum amount of shim possible doesn't mean you have to in this case.
The guy in the video did not use the maximum amount of shim possible, he used the proper amount, which put the plunger half way through it's range, so the lifter was about 50% preloaded. This is how it should be done.

Quote:
He says and in most cases with these engines that no matter how he swaps the lifters around the tapping appears in the same lifter bores. The oil passage may or not be blocked but it appears to be poor oil pressure design to me.
The reason that swapping lifters doesn't cure the problem is because that bore in the head is drilled slightly further than the others. The only way to get it right is to shim it. A high volume oil pump could possibly remedy the tapping, but the lifter would still not be preloaded to the correct amount. It may resolve the issue but it's not really the right way to do it, the lifter wouldn't be preloaded to the right amount.

I'm not contradicting anything, chastizing anyone, or whatever else you want to say, I'm just giving some helpful info so he can get his engine running properly. Measuring and adjusting based on the measurements is the correct way to do it. Do you eyeball the gap on your spark plugs? Do you eyeball the clearance on main bearings? Do you eyeball piston ring gap? You could, and it would probably run, but it won't run like it's supposed to and won't last as long as it's supposed to.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.