Old 02-04-2012, 11:17 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2006 Ram
Trim Level: ST
Color: Silver
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:15
hotmach is on a distinguished road

Thanks all for your replies and concern with my tow rating.

I did my research before i got my trailer. I have the 3.92 gears and have a QC with 8 foot box, this truck configuration maximizes the 2006 1500 tow capacity.That said it's still a lot of trailer for the 4.7. Pulled the trailer 4000+ miles last year and never felt unsafe, but even when doing a short pull the advantage of a Hemi is something easy to recognize.

FWIW. With my configuration and the 4.7 if i was pulling 4-5 hrs from home i would not be complaining/looking at other trucks or inquiring into mod's. it's the distance i travel and the PA mountains that have me looking. In the 50-60mph range using towhaul mode the 4.7 purrs, just don't try to maintain ( and i'm not sure why some un-safely try ) 60 mph+ with a 30+ travel trailer. Really if Ram had a modern tranny things would be very different.

Thanks all for your thoughts ! Sounds like the 4.7 doesn't have huge gains to mod return,which is fine. A new truck will be in my future if not this spring next. My greatest frustration in a new truck purchase is Ram no longer sells this/my configuration. I am a small contractor who never carries huge weight but needs an 8ft box and a small backseat for lockable tools. Hard to justify a 2500 as a daily driver just for an 8ft box but seems my only option. Then a no charge diesel incentive inters the equation and things get really overkill.

Thanks again.