View Single Post
Old 02-10-2012, 09:02 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 R/T
Trim Level: R/T
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:120
ironchef2011 will become famous soon enoughironchef2011 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Ironchef2011, thanks brother for this post and information on the other ones. It is so funny I was looking at the same JL Audio speakers for my 2009 Ram. I was also going to have 2 JL 10W1V2-4s under the backseat in place of the 1 factory sub. However, I was looking at installing the C2-350x in the ceiling also. I see from your picture they may not fit. I was looking at pushing all of the speakers with a JL XD700/5. Well at least that is what my installer suggested. He was looking at installing a JL LC2I to have the factory head unit push it all. If you could let me know what you think about all of this. For that matter if anyone else has any input let me know.
This all came about when I installed a pair of JL TR650-CXi and a pair of JL TR650-CSi speakers in my son's Chevy Colorado. I hooked up a JL JX360/4 to push them all. No sub as of yet because he is only 15. The sound is crazy coming from those speakers. Couldn't have his truck sound better than mine...LOL

I was uncomfortable in doing this myself to my truck even though I did it to his truck. Thanks for the confidence booster.

ChiefRam
Hey Chief,
Glad I could help my friend. As for your thought of installing the 3.5" in the headliner, don't do it. They won't fit and that's not where you want sound coming from. The two most important areas in the Ram to improve IMO is the dash speakers first and then the sub. By eliminating the center and using the JL 3.5's in the left/right dash, it was a huge improvement. The door speakers weren't nearly as important and if I had it to do over again I wouldn't waste the time or money there. The sub however was a nice bonus but be sure to install the line output control knob with the amplifier. It's really nice to be able to control the bass depending on the style of music and volume. As for the number of subs, it all comes down to your music preference. But I've yet to find an installation whereby a single JL 10W3v3 wasn't able to hold its own and impress the hell out of it's owner. I simply can't say enough about the amazing combination of the small, digital JL amplifier and their enclosure/sub set. If you just did the dash, amp and sub, you'd be thrilled with the results.

And in my opinion, the speaker amplifier, door speakers, headliner speakers and converters are all a waste unless you're going to replace everything and go high end. But at volume 20-24, my system is powerful as hell and has wonderful imaging.