Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW
Trim Level: Laramie Quad Cab
Color: Bright Silver - PS2
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:10
CBR Dude is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down

The 430 radio is Garmin based GPS, while the 730 is Navteq based GPS. Two separate animals and they both work independently of the radio software!

If you have the one of these navigation units in your vehicle they operate on three different software upgrades. One for the radio itself. One for the Grace Notes and the other for the GPS technology such as Garmin or Navteq.
Garmin and Navteq sell the upgrades for 200 bucks a pop. They are available through their websites for purchase and or phone. Navteq will include the current radio software with its upgrade, not sure about Garmin as I had the 730 radio head. They send you a user and password with the disks. I have no idea if the disk can be used on more than one radio head. I bought the disk update for the 200 bucks and they asked for the disk back a few weeks later and refunded my credit card upon return of the disk. Why donít know, they just did! So I got a radio update and the maps upgraded for free if you want to call it that.
The radio and grace note updates are available through your dealer or off various websites. I do need to caution you guys that if you fail to follow the directions and guys this is very important as you know guys and directions donít go well together. You really need to follow the directions to the ďTĒ otherwise youíre going to have one huge ass paperweight on your handsÖperiod! Failure to follow the directions results in a hose up radio head. You are screwed more ways to Sunday then youíll ever know!!
My take on the 730 set up is itís very cumbersome to operate period! I see and read other saying the same about the 430 radio. I canít say or make any commits on that radio as Iíve not first-hand experienced using it. The 730 is no prize chicken either when it comes to the GPS operation!!
I find that having to pay for the GPS from Garmin or NAVTEQ is a royal crock of crap myself in hind-site. Yes, itís nice to not have another gadget hanging off the dash or another wire plugged into the socket, but if you do the math, I think itís cheaper to buy an aftermarket GPS that has the free map and traffic updates, as then youíre current with the streets.
I kept my Magellan GPS thatís ironically NAVTEQ based GPS, that I get free map updates with. I have it in my other truck. Works great and can be used in one of our other vehicles. Bought it at Costco for under 200 bucks and comes with ďFREEĒ lifetime maps and traffic updates.