View Single Post
Old 02-15-2012, 02:23 PM
Conventional Eccentric

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram Crew Cab
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl Coat
Rep:220
highlandchef has a spectacular aura abouthighlandchef has a spectacular aura abouthighlandchef has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBryant View Post
What Huntergreen said is correct. If you have an engine failure and the dealer says it's your fault and will not repair it under warrany, they don't have to prove it, you do. All they have to do is say it and your stuck. You can't force them to do the repair work. You are stuck with a broke down vehicle while you get a lawyer and sue them. I don't know about you, but I can't afford that. It's your responsibility to follow the oil change requirements in the owners manuel. Keep your warranty, it can get very expensive without it.
Actually that is not correct.There are laws that specifically prevent dealerships from doing what you say. If there weren't what would stop dealerships from claiming any claim was due to your negligence.

The dealership has to show that what you did created the problem. If you leave your cooked oil in there and run it well past the recommendation then you're likely in trouble but if you use due diligence, with proper fluids you will be fine. If you use extended drain oil you would be well served to get UOA at the recommended OEM oil changes. One recommendation I would give would be to make sure you get an oil sample if you have a major failure before you give the vehicle to the dealer. If the oil failed when used properly a company like Amsoil will then cover the repair. If your oil is good but your claim is initially denied by the dealer you can use the oil analysis to help your case.

But the real truth is this: major oil related failures are fairly uncommon and if your oil is clean and in good shape a claim isn't likely to be an issue if you do have a failure.

Disclaimer: I'm getting old and my opinions will reflect that fact!