Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: ST
Color: Inferno Red
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:71
wbowyer will become famous soon enough
Default Torque Converter Replacement Experience

Hey Guys, my torque converter had the infamous noise coming from it under light acceleration between 1400 and 2000 RPMs. Thought I would post my dealership experience to help out others who have this issue (any by the way, this does apply to the 2012 6 speed tranny's as well).

First off, what happened:

Towing 7000 lbs from Orlando to Birmingham I noticed a slight "grinding" noise heading down the interstate. At the time I had the factory exhaust so I could clearly hear the noise.

Installed after market exhaust, couldn't hear anything over it. As time went on I grew used to the aftermarket exhaust and started picking up on an annoying noise with the windows down while driving close to building.

Ignored the noise until I had a pretty bad "shudder" when going to the dealership to get my oil changed (I have a lifetime warranty that requires I give the dealer a shot at maintenance costs). While at the dealer I asked to speak to the service manager, who was very helpful and took a ride with me to confirm there was an issue. I did not have any documentation of the STAR case with me.

The service manager told me that at a recent company meeting they were told there is a common issue with the torque converters being out of balance, and asked if I would prefer to leave the vehicle for the transmission tech to visually confirm what we heard as the issue. I am normally a stickler about not having my transmission cracked open until it fails, but due to this being a warranty issue and the harsh vibrations I had begun to experience I left the truck over night.

Transmission tech confirmed what was going on, parts were ordered and arrived in 3 days. Due to the weekend and me being out of town the truck will be completed and picked up after the dealership having the parts for 2 days. Based off of past transmission work this is not an unacceptable lead time as I have alternate transportation.

To recap: Dodge/Chrysler/Fiat/Ram knows there is an issue with the torque converter. They have told all of their service managers there is an issue and have instructed them to be very compliant in dealing with the issue. There is not a long drawn out process for getting parts in (although with this big of an issue they should have the parts on the shelf). And finally they are developing a "permanent" solution that should be available along with a recall in mid April.

Hope this helps!
Sponsored links