Old 02-21-2012, 09:25 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 95 & 98 1500 Ram 4x4s
Trim Level: SLT & Sport
Color: 1 Blk,1 Red
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:36
Screamintrashcan is on a distinguished road

I spent 20 years pulling my extra wheels around on a dolly, while in the USAF. I'm sold on them, as a matter of fact, i still have one, as well as a trailer 18' long with a mile marker 9,00o Lb winch. I love what the trailer can do over a dolly, but it sure is a lot greater pleasure to pull the dolly. The ONLY disadvantage is that you can't back up effectively with a dolly, but if I figure right, you guys are going non stop, drinking caffeine and eating carbs to keep going...The only thing I would suggest for your truck is... transmission gauge and cooler. My old Chev did not like pulling that dolly with car, over 60 meant gauge temps in the yellow (200 deg plus) keep the tranny out of OD to keep the heat down, as well. putting a gauge on is easy, as well as an aux cooler. Gas is cheap in comparison to tranny rebuilds, especially on the interstate... change the rear diff oil, excellent idea. If you use a dolly, pad the wire harness good, to save the Fords paint.Going the distance will simply take time and pressure, you'll get there, turn up the tunes and enjoy the scenery... pulling the driveshaft is simple, auto or stick, I'd pull it... I used to unbolt it from the rearend, push it in as far as it would go, and using giant zip ties, bind i t tight to the exhaust pipes, (that was easy on b body chargers and road runners, don't know about mustangs, but if the driveshaft is still plugged in, the tranny won't leak...