Old 02-22-2012, 11:14 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 95 & 98 1500 Ram 4x4s
Trim Level: SLT & Sport
Color: 1 Blk,1 Red
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:36
Screamintrashcan is on a distinguished road

Well, Ryan, as you can see, there are lots of differing opinions out there. 1st, decide on your choice of conveyor for the ford. Either has its positives and negatives. If you had a diesel pull vehicle, etc etc. fact is, you have a 1/2 ton pickup, probably with a box with stuff in it , to begin with. I used to do DITY moves, made money doing PCS ing that way. A trailer is terrific, but trailers are heavy. Car dollies are light, and simple to tie a vehicle down on, without damage. My dolly has to have the steering head of the tow'ee unlocked, because the dolly steers like a car, with tie rods, etc, not a central kingpin. either are OK, but I liked the spindle / tierod type, seemed stronger to me. My car hauler trailer is an 07, but just the decking and ramps probably weigh what that mustang weigh. Theres lighter trailers, but theres a lot of 'clop-clops' on the highway between NC and CA, for a light duty trailer's welds to crack, and a new dolly will probably cost you $750, MAX and it'll sell quick at a military base, after you've used it, probably for exactly what you bought it for. I use a light bar, because a MT cop named Barney Fife didn't like the factory installed lights on the dolly, because they were >36" from the rear of the car, frankly, I believe he didn't like 70 Charger R/Ts.There's very low tongue weight with a dolly to point your lights in the wrong direction, unless, you are a stargazer. You will hardly notice the vehicle behind you. Anyhow, do as you wish. A tranny temp gauge is a good idea with any automatic, My Duramax Allison has a factory gauge, that truck was built to pull. They didn't want warranty claims. Your truck has a light. When it comes on, it's generally already damaged. I screw mine to the side of the 4wd shifter plastic mount,the wiring is self explanatory, with the kit. clip nuts secure it. A tranny cooler can be ziptied easily to the front of the ac condenser, hoses run to the pass side of the heat exchangers, take the coils totally out of the loop, by bypassing the radiator completely, you just don't need to heat the tranny with coolant heat, in the part of the world you live in. leaving it inline is OK, If you were going north, I'd recommend it, but you are in the heat. The trans you have is not noted for liking a heavy pull, but in my experience, if you keep that externally adjustable band adjusted properly, so you get a good solid 1/2 shift, the transmissions I own, have never given grief, and they work hard, on and around the farm. Anyhow, WHether you use a trailer or dolly, either are a better choice than a towbar, I've been that route, as well, and do not recommend them, been all over the country with them, too. pretty tough on tires, etc. braking while turning can be quite hair-raising... Good luck!!! PS. Theres gauges & coolers on ebay all the time, or Advance, or Rockauto, Autozone, etc. both for prob $110 or less...

Last edited by Screamintrashcan; 02-22-2012 at 11:28 PM. Reason: Addendum...