View Single Post
Old 02-24-2012, 12:12 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer
Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram QC
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Silver
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
04SCRAM is on a distinguished road

Amsoil is good but so is Mobile One fully synthetic. What you should really consider if you want to go to extended drain intervals is adding an oil bypass system with an external oil cooler. I'm using Mobile One 0W30 with a Fram XG16 for my full flow filter and then Tee'd off my oil pressure sensor to a Wix 51749 bypass filter then through the oil cooler then tapped back into the valve cover for the return. I have just over 18k miles on my oil and it is just slightly darker in color but still has the same consistency. I did change the full flow at around 12k miles. Using the Wix 51749 filter also adds almost 4 quarts of oil to your capacity and has a micron rating of 5. Amsoil's micron rating is around 2 and most full flow filters are between 12-25. The bypass filter will clean your entire crankcase capacity about every 5 minutes. I have the same Wix filter system on my work truck and have gone over 25k miles before changing the oil. And we are doing oil samples every 10k miles. All samples came back with nothing wrong. The only reason for changing it was that the oil wasn't synthetic, just Chevron Delo 400LE 10w30.